Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Years Greetings to you all! I see that our editorial staff has been blogging up a storm of typically incoherent ramblings. This is excellent, and true to our blog's vision.

In the interest of retaining the few remaining readers who prefer a little meat, as it were, here's a (vegetarian) recipe for Keralan tomato chutney:

3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 small red onions, coarsely chopped
1 medium piece of ginger, minced (about 2tbsp)
7 curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garamasala
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
coconut oil

- heat 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil in a kadai (or wok, or frying pan)
- add onions, tomatoes, ginger and 3 curry leaves. Stirring.
- when onions are glassy, add (in this order): turmeric, chili powder and garamasala
Stir a bit, and remove from heat.
- When coolish, add to blender with 1/4 cup water, and blend to your liking.

- In the kadai, heat another 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- When oil is hot add mustard seeds and cook til they stop popping
- Then add 3-4 more curry leaves, and immediately add the blender contents.
- Salt to taste.
This chutney will be smoother than you may be used to in a chutney. Some chutneys are smooth, some not.

Fini!

I don't know where you can get curry leaves in the U.S. Around here, they get them in the back yard. I DO know that it would be a big mistake to substitute curry powder for curry leaves. Don't do it. Or if you do, don't tell me about it. I can't bear to think of it. You could use canola oil or something instead of coconut oil, though. Personally, I'm a little sick of the whole coconut business. It's in everything around here in some form or another.

In general, substitutions are frowned upon by our cooking instructor. We made the appalling suggestion after our paratha class that the parathas would be yummy with a little garlic and herbs or made with some sort of infused oil (because they take a LOT of oil to make). He was barely able to contain his indignation. Absolutely, under no circumstances should Indian fusion cuisine be attempted. Still, I think I'll give it a try when I get home.

We are so sorry to be leaving this place, but the beach beckons, and who are we to ignore the signs...

We'll get back on line once we get to Varkala.

Thanks for the comments. I am currently seeking to create a new position as translation editor, to assist those who may be struggling with our spiritual editor's ancient text. If you feel there's a job for me there, let me know.

Stay warm and dry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home